KNT 10


What would you say is the most interesting part of your work?
The most interesting part in my line of work is when the student gets the IELTS score that he/she needs. It means that they will be able to get a scholarship, that’s the obvious one. In addition, they’ll get the chance to travel abroad, they’ll get lots of money and new experiences. They will get their master degree or doctoral degree. Then they will help improve Indonesia to be a better country for the future generation. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll only get ‘thanks, Sir’ from all of this, but the satisfaction that I feel every time, words just can’t express it.

How do you do your work?
Well, students need to do two things. They need to improve their English skills and they also need to familiarize themselves with the IELTS format. I usually run a pre-test to assess the students’ current ability and then decide what the main weaknesses are. After that, I will polish the fundamental English skills and this will take three or four meetings. Eventually, it will lead to whole lots of IELTS exercise and discussion. That’s how.

What do you do in a typical day at work?
I checked my phone for Facebook, Whatsapp messages or perhaps new e-mail from my students. I correct some essays, give feedback to students’ questions. I will create some new posts, it can be a grammar quiz or an explanation about things. I post regular Facebook status one that expresses my view of the world, and about my students and other clients as well. If there’s a face-to-face class, I’ll take the train and book a ride with motorcycle service to reach my student’s house. Teach a class, and then back home the same way I get there.

Is your job difficult?
In the beginning, yes. Learning everything by myself, that’s really a painful trial-and-error period. Now, not so much. I used to struggle with the materials since there were only limited books available in Indonesia in about 2005 and therefore .. limited knowledge. As the Internet became more reliable, I had access to more information. I learned a lot from IELTS teachers in other countries. I was a guest in Cambridge English Teacher community and it really helped me in my job.

Do you enjoy your work?
Yes, I do. I don’t have to follow other people rules and regulations. I don’t have to wake up very early in the morning. I’m a night-owl. I learn things better after midnight so most of my classes are set up after 5 p.m. My students just finish their working hours by that time. That’s a sweet deal for me. I can learn new things every day and get money too.

What’s the most enjoyable part of your work?
The most enjoyable part is that I get to help lots of people. It makes me feel good. Actually, English is not the most difficult language, but Indonesians tend to feel it is difficult. So I create my own system of teaching for my fellow Indonesian, and when everything is good, the whole thing is just awesome and exciting.

Do you prefer to work alone or work in a group?
I like working alone. I don’t like other teachers teach my student. I can’t guarantee that they’ll use the same approach, jargon, and style that I use. The result is students’ confusion, and that is just bad.

Do you prefer to work in the mornings or in the afternoons?
In the afternoons and evenings. As I’ve mentioned before, I teach classes at 4 or 5 p.m. Working in the evening is better coz then I can get to wake up all night without any noise. Reading and writing stuff need a quiet environment. So after midnight, that is when I do my real work. Teachers need to do lots of studying and improve themselves every day and that’s what I do.

Do you plan to continue doing that work in the future?
I want to continue my education, if possible. After getting my master degree, I want to be an IELTS examiner. Teaching IELTS doesn’t give me the financial security that I badly need. So maybe not a teaching job in the future. Or maybe both. Who knows?

notes:
di seri knt 8 kmarin ini
ada saya notice kesalahan
. Working in the evening is better coz then I can get to wake up all night without any noise.
ini lumayan fatal
word choicenya salah
semestinya bentuk yg lebih native adalah
buang can dan ganti wake dengan stay
menjadi I get to stay up ...
wake up adalah terbangunnya seseorang dri tidur
stay up adalah tidak tidur tidur
can disitu tidak efisien sehingga mestinya dibuang

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESSAY 27

ESSAY 17

ESSAY 5