KNT 8

I am an IELTS teacher. I help lots of Indonesian students who want to continue their education abroad. I can teach face-to-face classes, like a traditional class, but I also have an online program for those who are not in Jakarta. They should register their membership first then they'll have the access to a website that I manage.

Why did you choose to do that type of work?
I had my interest in the standardized English exams since I was a kid. My father was an English teacher, and he held his classes at home. So, I learned the TOEFL for the first time when I was just 7 years old. That was in 1990. I thought that learning English was fun back then and still is. I guess, that's why now I become an IELTS teacher. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, one might say.

What do you do in that job?
Well, when I don't have any class with the students, I update the content of my website. I also regularly receive e-mails from many people. Those e-mails are usually related to essay correction or perhaps a translation job. So, in this line of work I need to write a lot and read a lot. I do both activities most of the time when I have some spare time.

Is your work the same as what you imagined it would be before you started this job?
Yeah, perhaps it was different. Well, no, yeah, the job is actually the same. You go to students' houses. You teach there. You get some money. But, when I started this work I actually thought that most of my students will be more motivated and more serious in their effort. Why? Well, because this IELTS is the key for them that will open lots of doors, lots of opportunities. Now I realize that people don't necessarily share the same idea. Most people just take it for granted and what even worse, some people feel burdened or frustrated when they learn IELTS.

Is that a popular job in your country?
No, it is totally not a job that is wanted by most people. The problem is, most Indonesians want to be a civil servant as a career. Becoming a teacher is a fine choice as long as you work for the government. Teacher profession in Indonesia is respectable but it isn't a well-paid job. IELTS teacher is actually a well-paid job but one will need to have a TESOL or CELTA certificate before they can be considered 'legal and qualified' to teach and those things are so expensive and I just can't afford it. So, based on those facts, I am pretty certain that very few Indonesians work as an IELTS teacher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ESSAY 27

ESSAY 17

ESSAY 5